Coffs Harbour Airport is the only airport located in the regional centre of Coffs Harbour and is one of the largest and busiest regional airports in NSW. The facility handles up to 27,000 aircraft movements and 413,000 customers per year.
UCG designed and constructed a fibre to the premise network for the airport’s 31 individual buildings which included the main arrival & departure terminal, the air traffic control tower, aircraft hangers, offices and essential services. Connecting the facility to the NBN network required extensive civils works leading back to the Direct Joint Location. This included open trenching, upgrading pits, removal of asbestos material, and clearing duct blockages.
Physical security and access control measures and procedures were enforced. UCG was responsible for ensuring all our employees and subcontractors were aware and complied with all security conditions when working in airside security zones. These conditions included;
- Holding a current Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) and/or Visitor Identification Card (VIC)
- Completing site specific inductions
- Obtaining approval by the airport to complete the works
- Where applicable, allow security screening of possessions, vehicles and goods as required under legislation
Gaining access to the airport secure areas requires compliance with strict security protocols. Many of the 31 buildings were owned or leased by different parties (including airlines, car hire companies, import and export businesses and fuel companies), each of which had their own security protocols.
UCG was responsible for ensuring all our employees and subcontractors complied with all security conditions when working in airside security zones.
UCG engaged with all parties to ensure all protocols were followed. Particular care was taken when working in and around the re-fuelling stations. UCG managers and contractors had to undergo rigorous police checks, inductions and were granted appropriate security clearances.
The design for the facility included:
- FDH (Fibre Distribution Hub) cabinet installed outside the main terminal
- Several large fibre joints
- Numerous CTLs, MPTs, PCDs and NTDs
- 3,500 meters of LFN cable
- 5,000 meters of lead in cables